Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bakerzin @ Vivocity

Dear and I went to Sentosa on Tuesday to get a tan (ended up getting burnt! Haha), and decided to get dinner at Bakerzin at Vivocity when we returned to mainland, because I'd always wanted to try it, but never have. We had a late lunch (about 4+ to 5pm?) so we ended up sharing a main, dessert and a drink.

We got the ham and bacon penne in pink sauce ($10.80). Goodness, it DOES look pink! Haha..But the exclamation is more for the amount of ham and bacon we found in the dish! It was definitely enough for a generous bite of meat with every 'tube' of pasta, which was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise. The sauce was a tomato based one, but made richer with mascarpone cheese, which I suppose is responsible for turning it this creamy pink instead of the usual red. Every bite was polished off!

We chose the selection of 3 tapas/sorbets/ice creams ($9.80) and got, from left to right, mango passion sorbet, raspberry panna cotta and chocolate sorbet. The mango sorbet was creamy and gorgeous! Easily the favourite of the night! The raspberry panna cotta was a bit of a toss up. While the fruit layer was delicious, the custard layer was a little too cloying, with an overpowering vanilla taste I can't say I fancied. Dear plain didn't like it - he doesn't like cream and stuff. The chocolate sorbet tasted a little odd. You taste good quality high cocoa content chocolate, but you don't get the creamy richness you associate with it. Instead, you taste something like a cocoa popsicle, mashed up.

Not pictured: Blueberry Italian soda, which tasted over-sweet and not as appetising as it looks.

Verdict: I would say the pasta was good value for money, and if we had chosen different desserts, I might have enjoyed it more. I think I will, next time. But still, I enjoyed the dinner, so it's a thumbs up :)

No comments: