Saturday, November 25, 2006

Botak Jones @ Yue Hua Food Place, 608 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5

BB and I went to Botak Jones today as an after-a-lousy-first-exam-paper treat. After all, I'd been buggering him about going to try, after seeing several blogs talk about it, for quite some time already.

The Botak Burger set ($6.50, comes with large amounts of coleslaw and spiced fries). The burger came fat and juicy, coated with a slice of melted cheese, tomatoes, onions and lettuce on a buttered bun. The meat patty was thick and fat and juicy. Thumbs up for that. Points deducted for being a little bland - I don't think there was any salt added. While it's healthy, it doesn't make for a very tasty American junk food meal.


Cajun (pronounced "kay-jin", apparently) Chicken set ($6.50), which also comes with copious amounts of creamy coleslaw and the same spiced fries. It was good, tender and kind of moist, topped with melted mozzarella, fried onions and some sauce that I can't tell what it is. I'm not too partial to chicken breast, frankly. Gimme a nice thigh anyday. But as far as chicken breast goes, this ain't half bad :):)

And now on to the coleslaw and fries. I don't normally eat all my coleslaw - most of the time I don't touch it (early bad experience at KFC..blech!) - but this time I decided to try some, and was rewarded with cold (I hate tepid slaw! Makes me think it's been sitting out in the heat - and hence the mayo spoiling - for goodness knows how long!!), creamy mayo and cabbage. Mmm.. And it was good. I finished everything up! And the fries, although unsalted, were sprinkled with a mixture of spices that reminded me of Calbee Hot and Spicy chips which I love. Ergo, I love this one too :D

I'm a happy goober today. Check it out. In the words of Meathenge Labs, we were Clean Plate Rangers today!











Verdict: Be prepared to wait 15-20 minutes for your food. According to them, all food is prepared fresh and doesn't hit the grill till you order it (apart from the gumbo and the Whoopass Chili con Carne - how DO you pronounce that??) The portions are big, we were stuffed after clearing our plates and didn't have room for the Chili that we'd wanted to try :( Never mind, next time. A little disappointed that I didn't see them wearing the funky aprons I'd heard about, but that's just a side thing. the food's the main man! And we're satisfied.

P/s, there's a menu in Chinese too, so if you have Chinese-speaking friends who can't read English too well, they too can order with ease :) Come HUUUUNGRY.. :D

No comments: